Show 10+ Sanocko - Turczańskie Foothills on larger map
The orthodox church from Rosolin.
The open-air museum in Sanok.
The wooden orthodox church in Ulucz.
The history of art fans will find here, in the orthodox churches, unique icons, which are the sacral paintings on the wood). The polish icons were made mainly in 15th to 17th century in the Eastern and South-eastern areas, precisely in the area of the Sanok commune.
You just have to see it!
Hiking or biking along the blue and white trail are a perfect opportunity to see the most amazing landmarks of the sacral art. The trail in the San Valley is a didactic route (labeled in blue) and leads to the oldest wooden orthodox church in Poland (in Ulucz). The total length of the trail is 70 km and allows to see 10 orthodox churches and 2 museums. You can follow the trail on foot, by horseback, mountain or road bike and sail through the San valley.
The main touristic and sightseeing attractions of this trail are:
Sanok - Icon Museum
is located at Sanok castle, which used to be a Rus borough, on which place a Casimir's Gothic castle was built and rebuilt in 1523 - 1548 in Renaissance style In its rooms 106 icons of about 700 owned by the museum are exposed. The rest will be exposed after the refurbishing of the other rooms is finished. The collection owned by the museum is the biggest one in Poland. Additionally the museum hosts exhibitions of: paintings of Z. Beksinksi's and other contemporary artists, historical and archaeological exhibits related to the area.
Sanok - cathedral
- otrhodox cathedral church of the Holy Trinity, seat of the Bishop of the Diocese of Przemysl and Nowy Sacz, brick, built in 1784
Sanok - Rural Architecture Museum
- the Heritage park occupies the area of 38 ha, presents about 120 objects of wooden architecture from the regions of the the Bieszczady Mountains, Low Beskid Mountains and Foothills, including orthodox church from Ropki from 1801, Grąziowa from 1731, Rosolin from 1750, church from Bączal Dolny from 1667. The heritage park owns also about 500 icons, a part of which is distributed among the abovementioned orthodox churches and the rest is exhibited in a separate building. The heritage park in Sanok is the biggest institution of this kind in Poland.
- old orthodox Greek-Catholic parish of Holy Trinity, brick, built between 1899 - 1900, next to which the pyramid-shaped Kulczycki family tomb is located.
- wooden orthodox church of John Baptiste built in 1837. Now used as Roman-Catholic church.
- Greek-Catholic orthodox church of the Council of the Blessed Virgin Mary, wooden, built in 1859. In 1946-1960 used by the Roman-Catholic church and then by Orthodox church, and from 1991 the church services in Byzantine-Ukrainian rite are held.
- old Greek Catholic filial orthodox church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built in 1743, now a filial Roman Catholic Church. Next to the church grows a beautiful old oak.
- old Greek Catholic orthodox parish of St. Nicholas, wooden, built in 1879, now a filial Roman Catholic church of Exaltation of the Cross. In front of the church there is a three-storey bell tower defense gate from 17th century with chapel on the first floor and bells from 1624 and 1625.
- the oldest wooden orthodox church in Poland of Ascension of the Lord, built in 1510. Belonged to the Basilian monastery complex. Currently, branch of Rural Architecture Museum in Sanok. Located on the top of a steep Dębnik hill, about which legends are circulated, at the north end of the village.
- wooden, filial Greek Catholic church of Transfiguration of the Lord, built in1841. Currently used as Roman Catholic church.
Sanok - Olchowce
- old orthodox parish of Ascension of the Lord, wooden, built in 1844. Currently used by Roman Catholic church.
Słonne Mountains Landscape Park
- was founded by Krosno Voivode Regulation of 27 March 1992, is situated in the northeastern part of voivodship, north of Sanok, Zagórz, Lesko and Ustrzyki Dolne. Covers the Area of Słonne Mountains, southern part of the Przemyskie Foothills. The highest summits are Słonne Mointains - 672 m above sea level and Chwianów - 658 m above sea level. The area is particularly valuable due to its natural and cultural values. Beautifully shaped ridges have the grate layout. They are drained by thick, trellis-shaped network of rivers and streams. The attractiveness of this area is boosted by a very sparse population, which guarantees an undisturbed contact with nature.
- picturesque meanders of the river, which in this section separates the steep, wooded slopes of Słonne Mountains and Przemyskie Foothills from slightly milder hills of Dynowskie Foothills, are a big attraction for canoeing, fishing enthusiasts and swimmers. In the fifties it was planned to become a reservoir after the dam construction in Niewistka would have been completed. Currently, very poorly urbanized, and as a result has retained its natural pristine nature.
- the original sandstone formations on the ridges of the Słonne Mountains, creating fantastic shapes reminiscent of the ghosts of folk tales. On the trail two of them can be fund - Eagle's Stone and Granicka Stone.